Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Julie and Julia

Do you ever watch a movie and think, 'Wow! I so want to do that!' but you know realistically with your life there is no way?! Last night I watched the movie Julie and Julia and it was great! I loved it. I felt like I wanted to then go cook and savor all the different flavors of French cooking and French living! But realistically speaking I know I cannot. I am a full time mom, wife, etc with everyday household responsibilities and I have a 4 year old and a 6 year old who turn their noses up at food if they think it smells funny or looks wrong. Cooking French is just not an option here. However, I do find it amazing that this woman, Julie, took a challenge to consistently do something for an entire year!
How many of us get caught up in the idea of this but fall short on the execution? How many times when it comes to just everyday devotions in my Bible do I get excited to make a commitment to do these every day and learn, be focused on it for a week and then skip a day here or there only to find that eventually I am not doing my work again? But thank God that He realizes we are fallible human beings. I may not be dedicated to my devotional life but I am a dedicated mom who turns to Him when I feel I am failing. I know God wants us to cry out to Him in times of stress but He also wants to hear our thoughts when we are having a good day. That's why I have to believe that even though my gift is not a prayer warrior, I am not one to get on my knees and pray for an hour before the kids wake up, I am someone who does not seem to stop thinking all day long. I'm a woman after all! :) I believe that God hears those thoughts as prayers. I have to because even when I am not setting aside a designated time to get alone and pray, I am still sort of talking with Him all day! He knows our hearts, our thoughts, our prayers, and I have to believe that even though I am not as dedicated as Julie was, I am dedicated in my own way. And for now, at my time in life, it is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What coloring tools should I use in a coloring book?

YOU : So Chelsea, what coloring tools should I use?  ME :  I'm glad you asked that random blog reader. The answer is, whatever o...