Sunday, September 22, 2013

DIY Doll Clothes

Recently my husband's Aunt and my mother in law told me all about an 18" doll they had found for my daughter for Christmas and had begun to make clothes for. Naturally, I was enthralled! This sounded like the coolest thing ever! My mother in law and Aunt had gotten together to make clothes by hand for my daughter's doll. You just don't see awesome stuff like that anymore! People have lost this art. We go to the store and look for what we can find on sale and baring the sale spend $10 or more on one outfit that is made for a doll. My goodness! Well, I just won't do that if I don't have to. Enter the crafty ladies. I am so blessed to have the women in my life that I do. I grew up with a mom who crafted many things and instilled this love for the homemade in me. I married into a family with many ladies that are blessed this way as well! I am surrounded by it! Awesome! 






Well, this could be a fantastically long post all about the amazing women in my life but I think I will make it a long post all about my first crochet pattern I wrote myself! I know! I wrote one all by myself! How cool! 

The Story:

Well, these ladies inspired me with their amazing sewing abilities. I wanted to contribute too. Enter Stx with her handy dandy yarn stash! With the cold weather brewing I have been crocheting more and more. These little doll clothes are so fun and they are coming out so awesome! They are quick to make up so I am never bored and I am using up alot of my remnant yarn. First I embarked upon what I already knew: hats and scarves, down to doll size. I am so glad that I am a part of Ravelry.com because they have all these patterns to search and find and do! Well, I did! 4 hats, a scarf, and a poncho later and I am officially addicted. Yep. So I searched ravelry for another pattern to pique my interest. I found a wonderful pattern for a 5 piece set for the doll and a matching 3 piece set for my little girl. I can't wait to get started on these! But I have never made a sweater before and I want to try this out. Makes sense right? I had started with a hat and added fun fur to the trim and it just went on from there. Before I knew it I was making the jacket with fur trim, some boots, and mittens, and even pants for the doll! (Look for Cobblers Cabin on Ravelry)









Here is where my skirt comes in. I had made the Poncho, Butterfly hat and Butterfly hat for my daughter. I could't find a pattern I liked to make a skirt. So, I borrowed some ideas here and there and this is my result! It consists of 8 swirls or panels. Whichever way you choose to look at it. 

So cute! I really can't wait to see my daughter's face when she opens all this up at Christmas. Until then, I believe I will keep crocheting. 





Here is the pattern! Enjoy!

Swirls Skirt For 18" Doll

Supplies Needed: H hook, 6.5" of 1/4" elastic sewn to form ring

sl st = slip stitch
sc = single crochet
hdc = half double crochet
dc = double crochet
fphdc = front post half double crochet
ch = chain

Rd 1: 40 sc around elastic. join with sl st. (40 stitches)

Rd 2: ch 2, hdc in next 4 sc. fphdc around 5th sc, *5 hdc in next 5 sc, 1 fphdc around 5th sc* repeat        from * around, join with sl st. in ch 2 space. (48 stitches) 

Rd 3: ch 2. hdc in next 4 hdc. fphdc in next fphdc. * 5 hdc in next 5 hdc, fphdc around next fphdc.* repeat from * around. join with sl st in ch 2 space. (48 stitches)

Rd 4-16: repeat Round 3 (48 stitches)

Rd 17: Increasing by 16 stitches, you will add 2 stitches in between each set of posts. 

           ch 2 , 2 hdc in next hdc, 1 hdc in next hdc, 2 hdc in next hdc, 1 hdc in next hdc, fphdc around post of next fphdc. *1 hdc in next hdc, 2 hdc in next hdc, 1 hdc in next hdc, 2 hdc in next hdc, 1 hdc in next hdc, fphdc in next fphdc. [1hdc, 2hdc, 1hdc, 2hdc, 1hdc, 1fphdc] * repeat from * around. join with sl st in ch 2 space.  (64 stitches)

Rd 18: ch 2, 6 hdc in next 6 hdc, fphdc around next fphdc, * 7 hdc in next 7 hdc, fphdc around next fphdc. * repeat from * around. join with sl st in ch 2 space. (64 stitches)

Rd 19: Increase 8 stitches evenly by adding 1 hdc to each section

           ch 2, 6 hdc in next 6 hdc, add 1 hdc in top of fphdc, fphdc around fphdc. * 7 hdc in next  hdc, add 1 hdc in top of fphdc, fphdc around fphdc* repeat from * around. join with sl st in ch 2 space. (72 stitches)

Rd 20: Scalloped edging to finish. Consists of a pattern of sl st, sc, hdc, dc, dc, hdc, sc, sl st, sl st 
    
          * sl st in next hdc, sc in next hdc, hdc in next hdc, 2 dc in next 2 hdc, hdc in next hdc, sc in next hdc, sl st in next hdc and in top of fphdc. *  repeat from * around. ending sl st will finish. tuck in tails and you are done! (72 stitches)


7 comments:

  1. Those stuffs are so cute. But I especially love the shoes. Oh! These stuffs inspire me to learn how to crochet.

    ShopAtOliviasDollCloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have. https://frclothing.co

    ReplyDelete
  3. Individuals are flourishing to get balance point in a faltering world. Here, history is just our motivation. The style business is flooded with carbon copies that were available in the market even before the firsts, which enables to a couple of originators. Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I've read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you some interesting things or suggestions. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it! excellentcustomclothing

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have sell some products of different custom boxes.it is very useful and very low price please visits this site thanks and please share this post with your friends. dikişsiz külot

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this quality information with us. I really enjoyed reading. Will surely going to share this URL with my friends. techwear-x.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's an undeniable charm in the simplicity of T-shirts paired with jeans on girls and women. techwear clothing

    ReplyDelete

What coloring tools should I use in a coloring book?

YOU : So Chelsea, what coloring tools should I use?  ME :  I'm glad you asked that random blog reader. The answer is, whatever o...