Saturday, September 28, 2013

For the love of Austen

Yet again I must craft. It always seems to hit me when I least expect it. I see a craft, think of something to do with it, and before you know it I have found myself in the middle of the craft. Well, this one came about because I have been crocheting a lot lately, and as a result I have a cramp in my shoulder. I have had to take a break from my crochet and while searching around the house for something to distract me from my housework, I stumbled across an idea I had put away for another day. 



I have always loved Jane Austen. I love the stories and the quotes from her books are priceless! I had asked my husband a while ago if he wouldn't mind if we used a quote from Jane Austen for a picture I have wanted to put over our bed. I finnally sat down to make this. The quote comes from Mr Knightly in the book Emma, and describes my husband and I perfectly. (At least it seemd a more appropriate quote than Mr Darcy's, "You have bewitched me body and soul." Talk about people asking awkward questions about a picture hanging over your bed...) 


To begin I used a thin sporatic layer of Jade satin spray paint. I then took a few branches from a nearby pine tree outside and layered on some brown lightly. After waiting for these layers to dry, I got out my paint pens and drew out on a separate piece of paper what I wanted to do as far as the layout, first to see how it would look but also to re-familiarize myself with the way a paint pen handles. The style of lettering is all my own. I layered several times with the white pen. I wanted the white to stand out well. I then shadowed with the fine point black pen. I went over again with the white to cover up any mistakes with the black. When I was satisfied with the result I used the pen to splatter white around the painting. For an added touch i used a gold fine line paint pen to add some gilt to the design by drawing in the pine leaves and branches. I am quite pleased with the result. It not only looks earthy, which will satisfy my hubby, but the lettering also turned out better than I thought, satisfying the critic within me. 

Yes, a simple canvas became a favorite piece today. I am happpy to have a favorite quote and author above my bed but I especially love that feeling you get from a craft well executed. 

So, what have you been crafting lately? I hope you find as much joy, satisfaction, and stress relief in it as I do! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

What coloring tools should I use in a coloring book?

YOU : So Chelsea, what coloring tools should I use?  ME :  I'm glad you asked that random blog reader. The answer is, whatever o...