Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Coaster or frame?





Who doesn't love Instagram? If you are a smart phone user and you have this app you can create gorgeous photos simply by changing to a preset filter. And there is even an app for printing these photos called PostalPix. They take a photo, upload it to their network, and print and ship direct to your home! They print the square Instagram prints as well as normal size shots as well. Square prints come in a 9x9 sheet of 2x2 prints, 5x5, and 4x4. Regular prints come in 4x6, 5x7, and 8x10. They also have some specialty items like cell phone covers, aluminum prints, and mouse pads. I have ordered from them numerous times and they have always been fantastic. If an order doesn't show up they are more than happy to print and ship again. They have fabulous customer service which is something special!



Well, I had a stash of 2x2 Instagram shots sitting around waiting for crafts. My friend who is a tile guy had an extra box of tile leftover from a job. I was more than happy to take these off his hands. They are gray and 4-1/2 x 8-1/2. Not a standard coaster size. But I was determined to find a use. I took out these Instagrams and set to choosing which ones to use; a very difficult decision. I settled on pictures that were from my beloved St Croix. (My in laws live there)



Once I had some chosen I set them in order on the tile. I mod podged under them to attach them to the tile, then mod podged over top. If you have outdoor mod podge there will be no further sealing necessary at this point. I don't have this therefore I also like to seal the glue with a layer or two of clear spray paint. This makes them waterproof. With this method you need to be sure to let it dry for several days before you put a mug on top otherwise you will have lovely rings in your paint job, not visible unless they catch the light a certain way. I learned this the hard way and it drove me crazy! Added another layer of clear spray and they are still faintly there but not as bad.



To use as a coaster, don't forget the felt pads underneath to protect you tabletop from the tile edges. To use as a picture frame get a plate stand and set it up. I like it both ways, so you decide, coaster for two? Or picture frame?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What coloring tools should I use in a coloring book?

YOU : So Chelsea, what coloring tools should I use?  ME :  I'm glad you asked that random blog reader. The answer is, whatever o...