Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Challenge Accepted

Recently in my quest for the new camp crafts for this summer I came across the website tanglepatterns.com yet again. I have been fascinated by the zentangle method. It is both fun and relaxing for me. 



In my efforts to learn more about the multitude of patterns out there I have been doing the grid whereby you place three tangles across the top section, and three tangles along the side. As the tangles cross, you come up with a new way to use them. This has been a fascinating exercise. I feel like I have been both stretched and learned new tangles I would not normally have tried. 









While this exercise has proved helpful I also wanted to stretch my limits more. I purchased a 6x6 spiral ring sketchbook of 93lb paper. Having had the wonderful hubs buy me the "pre-strung" zendala tiles, I decided to set my own strings. 



Now, I mentioned the tanglepatterns.com website earlier. Linda Farmer does an awesome job of keeping it updated and running. I have added the link button to their website over on the right hand side of the blog here. One of the things she lists on the website is a section dedicated to strings. When you click on this you will see many different strings available. I believe there are over 90 different strings listed at this point. I simply went through and drew the strings I liked into my sketchbook so I would have many to choose from when inspiration struck. This has also been a fun challenge because I would not have thought of some of the string patterns that were offered. 






Offered for your enjoyment are three I have completed so far. 





This has been a joy and a challenge. I have been challenged in the sense that these strings are in a much larger format than I am used to. A traditional zentangle tile is usyally done on 3-1/2" square tiles. The tiles I cut and use from watercolor paper are actually a hair smaller at 3" square. Doubling the size has proved a great exercise. I have learned to enlarge the patterns I once drew so tiny. I have also been paying special attention to how the different tangles interact with each other. Whether they are meant to be more in the background or foreground, or how the shading will change the depth perception of some tangles. 

I will say it yet again, I am no Certified Zentangle Teacher, I have learned a lot from books and websites and I honestly would probably benefit greatly from sitting in a class under these talented people. I am just sharing again what I have been learning and loving. I hope you find enjoyment with it too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What coloring tools should I use in a coloring book?

YOU : So Chelsea, what coloring tools should I use?  ME :  I'm glad you asked that random blog reader. The answer is, whatever o...