Friday, February 8, 2013

DIY means fun for me!

We recently moved into a new home. And with that new home came some much needed space! To fill that space I was able to go on a shopping trip with my mother and pick up some much needed essentials to make the house a home. I wouldn't have been able to do that without my mother either! She bought it all. From rugs to blinds to lamps to end tables. And as much of a blessing as that was, I found I was still missing a few things. And as we all seem to do when we are looking for some great DIY's, I turned to Pinterest.

My first search was for simple end tables. I found so many possibilities, and one in particular stuck out to me. It was for a stool turned end table. Now I had an idea. There was an abandoned stool that sat outside for about 9 months. It was weather beaten and slightly twisted but salvageable and free! Needless to say I jumped at the chance! Now I had my stool but no table top.
The lady on the blog had her own table top to glue on from another table. I searched Lowes and found a 15" table top, unstained, for $6.50 at my local store. I picked it up along with some paint and glue.


I sanded the stool down and got ready. It's winter, and spray painting inside is bad. But when you aren't left with alot of options you open the windows and set to! I painted the bottom brown, the top cream, and I had some green to add some detail. I had found these adorable resin plates for $1 each at my local Ollie's Bargain Outlet and I was inspired to mimic the pattern. I love the way this turned out.

I sprayed it all with a clear spray paint to seal it, and voila! The shelves are made of tile scraps we had. Our friend who does tile work is going to cut some to fit better. I love the way this turned out. It suits my reading nook well. My next project for that area is a footstool.



Now, my search for footstool materials led me to the barn and what did I find but an old crate! I thought this would be perfect! Bringing it back, cleaning it up, and trying it out proved it was too tall for what I had in mind. I don't want to to take up alot of space. In fact, I want to easily tuck it under my chair during the times it is not in use. Thinking I could use it for something else I found a perfect spot in the living room. It makes a great end table. I was sure to turn it up so the stamping was on the top. I don't know what it was used for but I think it is so cool.



And the coasters? You can find those on Pinterest too. Basically it's tile, mod podge, papers, and clear spray paint on top with some foam pads on the bottom. I loved making them for gifts and to personalize my style in the home.
Still looking for footstool materials as I type this but Pinterest has so many ideas I am sure I will find something!







No comments:

Post a Comment

What coloring tools should I use in a coloring book?

YOU : So Chelsea, what coloring tools should I use?  ME :  I'm glad you asked that random blog reader. The answer is, whatever o...