Sunday, February 10, 2013

DIY Tray

My mom gave me an unfinished wooden tray. Knowing I'd find a use for it eventually, I stored it away waiting for the perfect time. My recent success with DIY has inspired me to find a use for it. That, and we have no end tables next to the bed, and no plans for any anytime soon. It is an odd space to fit a bed and there is simply no room for the tables. But we do enjoy sitting on the bed and snacking while watching tv after the kids have gone to bed. I've noticed that my hubby will turn the lid of the Tupperware upside down and set his glass on it. It seems to work rather well. Inspired by yet another Pinterest find, and ready materials on hand I set to.



I took the tray and spray painted an off white layer. I allowed that to dry, and over sprayed with a dark brown. The hardest part was deciding which piece of scrapbook paper to use. Knowing. I was going for a rustic look I settled on the blue patterned paper. I mod podged this to the bottom, then put a layer of mod podge over top. The hardest part was being patient enough to wait for all of it to dry. Once thoroughly dry, I grabbed a piece of sandpaper and sanded all the visible surfaces just enough to allow the white to show through. Lastly I spray painted again with a clear spray. Again, patience is key in allowing it all to dry. Once thoroughly dry it is ready for use.



I think it is especially important to clear spray over mod podge over paper. The mod podge protects the paper from the clear spray soaking in, and the clear spray puts a waterproof seal over the mod podge. I really like the way this came out. I am especially happy with the way it compliments my blue and gold pillows.



My next project will be a canvas of some sort to cover up the fuse box above the bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What coloring tools should I use in a coloring book?

YOU : So Chelsea, what coloring tools should I use?  ME :  I'm glad you asked that random blog reader. The answer is, whatever o...