Saturday, February 9, 2013

DIY Some Mistakes Make for the Best Inspiration

We've all seen it on Pinterest. Here is our version. We used plain dowel rods and wooden balls with pre-drilled holes from Hobby Lobby, double ended screws from Lowes, and large screw hooks. Positioning the screw hooks to hold the rod, the dowel sits in rather well. I used a drill to make holes in either end of the rod (I love using a drill! Mwhahahaha! Women and power tools!) and used pliers to hold the screw in place while I twisted on the wooden balls.



Once the hole was drilled, I twisted in the balls just like any other finial. To cover the hooks, I made a small slit in the curtain in the back and used fabric glue to keep the ends from fraying. This was a simple cheap and sturdy solution for these curtains. They are used in a cabin here at camp and will take much abuse from different campers and rental groups throughout the year.






I also took the time today to make a key hanger. Another Pinterest find we have all seen is the canvas painted with your family name, date established, and large monogram letter. I took this a step further and screwed hooks into the bottom to make a key-chain holder. Most how to's tell you to use vinyl letter stickers and they have good reason. I used regular stickers but they didn't get a good seal and the color leaked around the edges. I spent alot of time hand painting in the letters to fix the mistakes.



I free handed the big monogram 'R'. But when we speak of mistakes, don't feel like they are something you need to fix. Some of the worst mistakes make the best inspiration! When I looked at how clean the lines were I decided to add some swirls and speak of them were thicker than others. The free form of it all makes it so pretty to me. Anyway, enjoy your experience and you'll see what fun can happen with mistakes. Embrace it! Own it! Make it yours! I know I did and I am still learning to. And even of I think it isn't perfect, chasing after perfect wastes so much time.

The same goes for sewing. I made this little purple pillow. Partly because I love the purple and I thought it would be great to tie in the chair with the footstool via accents, and partly because my hubby doesn't care for shiny and I love that I get to put something I really like in my little corner! I am not a measure twice cut once person. It is a bad habit I am working on correcting. It's always a surprise when things come out so well. I had stuffing left over from my footstool so I decided I make a little pillow to match it. It accents the stool and the chair well. And I am really happy with it. Hope you all have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What coloring tools should I use in a coloring book?

YOU : So Chelsea, what coloring tools should I use?  ME :  I'm glad you asked that random blog reader. The answer is, whatever o...