Monday, February 11, 2013

DIY spice rack makeover

I see that my knife block looks awesome on my counter top. It seems to take up less space and it is just refreshing and clean. I am considering doing my spice rack as well. I like the idea of taking strips of paper down the side of the rack to mirror my success with the block.



Hopefully I have enough dark brown spray paint left. If not I will be doing something similar to the tray in which I use both brown and off white and then sand it down to age it some. This should be interesting. Here we go!

I started by sanding down the outside. I wanted to be sure the paint will stick.

Mine was a turn table rack so I flipped it over and unscrewed then turn table. (Power tools again! yay!)



Unfortunately, when I went to spray, I ran out. And I decided against using the off-white because I like the way the brown created the illusion of more counter space. This is the part where you sigh, sympathize, and wait for your next trip to Walmart or the hardware store. To be sure of a good match of color, write down the shade you used. My particular brand was Valspar and the color labeled was 'Brown Velvet' satin finish. I have made the mistake before of assuming I will remember the color and not getting quite the right shade. In this case I want to be sure.



And that's all until I get the paint. I will update soon.


WOOHOO! I got paint! So here we go!
First thing I did was spray paint the rest of it twice for a nice even coating.

Once fully coated I screwed the bottom back on and slid the bottles back in. Needless to say the homemade sharpie label on top needed to go.



The little white dots on the side here are glue. I tried some paper (photo below) and I liked it.



Here I found paper strips and labels in my scrap packs. And an idea began to form....



These fit perfect! I have an idea! (Boy you can see how icky the tops got here! Now you know why I needed to fix them!)



I started with putting the mod podge down.



Lay the paper down on the strip next. Mine were pre-cut but any paper should work if cut to size.



My handy helper! I straightened them out after all the 'help'.



Then I mod podged on top of it again to seal the paper. The clear spray paint will soak into the paper if not sealed with glue first.



I wrote out my herb names on these little labels and glued them on.

I then taped over top of them to seal them and protect them. The tape will make them easier to clean if any food should get on them.



I cut the excess tape off and it looks so good!



And this is the end result after sealing with clear spray paint. I used a matte or satin finish paint.



It looks great on my counter top. Who knew? And now it's your turn! But remember: have fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment

What coloring tools should I use in a coloring book?

YOU : So Chelsea, what coloring tools should I use?  ME :  I'm glad you asked that random blog reader. The answer is, whatever o...