Monday, February 25, 2013

DIY Book Look (a how to for a kindle 4 or Kobo Touch cover that looks like a book)

I recently have decided that if I am going to be reading on my ereader (Kobo Touch) then I want it to still look like a book. Plus there is the added convenience of a cover being handy for transporting and protecting. Thus, I was inspired to try my had at another project. As most of my projects start, I decided to scan Pinterest for ideas. Most people were taking old books and using the cover to create a cover for their device. I thought this was cool but lacking any old books I wish to destroy and wanting to do this without spending money I turned to what I have on hand. My ever present paper stash comes in handy here. Picking the papers was fun. I have many that would work but my small stacks had some pretty papers that actually look like book covers. I chose these from the 'Once Upon a Time' mat stack by DCWV.



I started by cutting a cardboard backing piece to size. I cut two with a small piece for the middle.



Using my washi tape, (gotta love this stuff!) I made my binding and taped all around the edges of the cardboard.





I then took my handy dandy mod podge and glued down my papers; all except the one for the back of where the ereader will sit on the inside of the cover. This last paper I left the corners up.



Taking an old bra, I cut it up for the elastic material. I thought to use the straps at first but I decided the material of the bra itself was stretchy like swimsuit material and would suit my needs. I cut pieces to size and glued them down where the ereader will sit. The hardest part was waiting for this side to dry before gluing the other side.



Once that side was dry I glued the straps across and held them down with clothespins. Drying was aided by sitting it all in front of the heating vent.



Here is the finished product. It was not a solid fit however so I have other ideas.





And check out the detailing with gold pen!



I decided to change this to a notebook so to speak. Since the ereader was not super solid (based on the materials I used I think, you may have better results) I slipped in a pad of paper. The cardboard back to the paper fits over the two straps across and holds pretty well. There is even room for a pen and the strap to hold it all together still works.



Check out the next post, Book Look 2 for how to do this cover for the ereader which is much more solid and actually looks like a real book!

2 comments:

  1. Chelsea, you are so creative!! I would have never thought to come up with that-very cool!

    ReplyDelete

What coloring tools should I use in a coloring book?

YOU : So Chelsea, what coloring tools should I use?  ME :  I'm glad you asked that random blog reader. The answer is, whatever o...